Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Central IL Road trip

Over the last two days I have had to do a little traveling for work, and drove to several places in central IL. No, for any north siders happening to read this, Frankfort is not in Central IL!

I had the good fortune to be able to drop by Colley Kitson's new chess club yesterday (www.colleyschessclub.com), and came away very impressed. First, the building is beautiful, with high ornate ceilings, projection TV, and Colley's collection of wooden sets and boards on all of the tables. Next, it is located in the downtown area surrounded by shops, pubs, and restaurants which seemed to be a fun area. I came away wishing Chicago and its suburbs had something like this. In a couple of weeks I will likely be getting down to St. Louis and see the new club down there.

One last thing that cracked me up, on my way back up, I was passing through the booming town of Nokomis, and saw a sign on the door of the local watering hole that said, " Central IL trianthlon. This Olympic quality event included pool, darts, and bowling. There is no word if that was a qualifier for the redneck games.

Glenn

1 comment:

chess addict said...

Hi! would you mind if we exchange link in our chess site. I have also a chess blog and I wanted to have some link in other chess sites. Just inform me in my blog if that would be okay. Thank you so much.

Regards,

Boris