Friday, October 19, 2007

The TDs perspective

One of the things I was hoping to do with this blog that would make it different from many of the other chess blogs, is to give the perspective of events from the Tournament Director. I have seen blogs from players, parents and coaches of players, and they have been great. As a TD though, I am in the room, and get to see many of the games and hear the stories from the event. Every TD has a selection of great stories. One of the highlights of national events is to sit down over a meal and swapt them with each other. Many of them have recurring themes, the overzealous parent, the clever child trying to pull a fast one, the random act of kindness, and many others.

This past week I have been working on an essay of how to run a successful tournament. I hope to be able to post this in the next week or two. If anyone has a question or topic that they would like to be addressed, drop me a comment.

Glenn

1 comment:

Polly said...

The post tournament sit down is always a lot of fun. Long time TDs not only have good stories from the one just completed, but usually there are some good stories from past tournaments. I must say I like it when the TDs can tell stories on each other. :-)

God only knows what the coaches and parents are saying about us during their post tournament sit downs. Actually I do know, since lately I've been wearing my coach's hat more then my TD hat.