Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Back from Arizona

While there was a lot of action this past weekend, I was no where near any of it. Andrea allowed me the wonderful anniversary present of going to Arizona for spring training to hang out with the boys and watch plenty of baseball. I would have loved to find some Arizona Scorpions (USCL team) members to talk a little Blaze trash to in advance of our own season opener, but they must have been hiding under a rock or something.

It sounds as though the IL K-8 ran as well as can be expected, though I have heard many a complaint about the tiny nature of the trophies. I know when I ran the All Grade, I received one complaint about the quality of the trophies, a parent told me that their son's trophies were broken in the first 10 minutes, and I needed to buy better quality awards. I asked him how they were broken, and without even a blush, the father told me that the kids had been sword fighting with them. Idiot! Though in this case I have to say, that if you are charging $35 a head for a trophy event, you better have some decent sized awards. Does anyone happen to know the height of any of these awards? For the All Grade I remember that the 1st place trophies were 36" tall.

I am still looking forward to hearing about the Karpov outing, if anyone has any stories about it please post.

We are two weeks away from the National JH tournament in Dallas. This kicks off the spring national season. Today I found out that I will be the section chief of the K-8 championship section which is a nice honor. I hope that we get a great turnout there, and that people realize that despite the name of the event, it is open to elementary school kids and a great experience.

Glenn

No comments: