Saturday, February 2, 2008

Upcoming Big Scholastics

This week I received invitations to direct at 2 of the spring National Scholastic events, the National Elementary in Pittsburgh in April and the National Junior HS in Dallas in May. Hopefully I will get to see many of you at those events. The National Elementary has the good fortune of Bill Snead being the chief TD which assures a well run event. I have worked with Bill at many National Opens, and what amazes me the most about him is the level of organization that he brings with him. After once seeing his collapsable files, I asked him what he needed that for at a tournament. He proceeded to pull out 34 fully printed pages detailing everything imaginable (and somethings that weren't) at the event. He is real good. The National HS will have Franc Guadalupe, who like Bill is a total pro that I try to learn from each time I work with.

I noticed a thread on the USCF forums about the National G/60 and G/30 events taking place in June. In this thread, there were a few people critical of the price of the entry fees. Having had to negotiate with hotels and schools lately for space, I can tell you that it is one of the least fun activities for any organizer. In organizing the All Grade, after getting a firm quote from the school in December, I received the bid in January, and went to sign contracts. When I saw the contract, the price had gone up over $2000 from the price I had received a month earlier. This moved the break even point for the event to need 100 additional players. It is brutal out there folks, and that is dealing with a school. If you had a hotel wouldn't you rather host a wedding in your space rather than a chess tournament? The hotel will make more money in hotel room nights, food sales, alcohol sales, in less time, and have less cleanup with the wedding. Hosting a chess tournament in a hotel is not an easy sale.

Noteworthy is a new entry to the chess blogosphere. Hikaru Nakamura is blogging at www.hikarunakamura.com It is wonderful seeing such a talented and creative player explaining his games and ideas. Hopefully this will give him a chance to practice some social skills which a severely lacking in his personality.

Glenn

6 comments:

Polly said...

I will see you at both those tournaments wearing my coach's hat. I won't be doing the triple play this year. I have no team going to Atlanta, and I'll be directing a local event that weekend.

MCA FIDE Tournaments said...

Thank you for the link, Glenn!

Ivan said...

Can you give some examples of Nakamura's lack of social skills. I have talked to him twice once asking to take a picture with him, and he was very pleasant.

glennpan said...

IW,

Sure I will give a couple of examples, as I did make a statement that should be clarified. I don't want this to turn into a Nakamura bashing exercise, as I am a fan of his play and feel as though he will grow up as a person and this will be less of an issue.

At the National K-12 championships, he waltzed onto a closed floor, and when my assistant TD asked him to leave and explained that only players and TDs were allowed, he decided to berate and belittle her in the middle of the event. He was also rather beligerant to me, when I had to ask him a second time to leave.

At the last Supernationals, I happened to be walking with Diane Reese (the chief organizer), when we came across Hikaru who was hired to do a signing. In front of many chidren, he told Diane off, telling her that since he did not have a book to promote that his appearance was worthless. He went on to demand a table to sell raffle tickets (for what I don't know), and when Diane refused him he yelled,"You obviously don't know who I am, or anything about chess!" She explained that there was no additional table space available, and that it wouldn't be fair to the vendors that paid for their tables, he yelled at her some more in front of the kids before leaving. I just wasn't impressed with the example he was setting.

Glenn

Ivan said...

Quote from Nakamura on chessninja.com


"On another note, Brad, there are plenty of haters of me not just solely for my great results lately. Sure, I had my two years of internet insanity back when I was quite the arrogant bad boy, but times change and above all people change. Sadly, there are still people who like to hang onto the past then live in the present.

"

glennpan said...

Ivan,

I really enjoy Nakamura's chess, and also agree that he has improved in the last couple of years. However, the incident where he berated my assistant TD at the K-12 just happened in December. More improvements in this regard are needed.

Glenn