Sunday, September 30, 2007

End of Regular Season Baseball 2007

I have to take a break from blogging about chess to blog about one of my other passions... baseball. The regular season finished up today, and I am ready for the playoffs. Were this season's results a surprise? Not if you follow www.baseballprospectus.com BP is a hardcore fan and stat geek's best friend. The site has all sorts of stat lines completely foreign to the average fan to evaluate players and teams, and for me it is pretty cool stuff.

I never paid much attention to the BP team predictions until they predicted the White Sox to go 72-90, prompting Kenny Williams to rip them in an interview with the Chicago Tribune, basically saying that they don't know anything about baseball. I must admit, I thought they were a little nuts too for that, but as the season came to a close, 72-90 was dead on. If you were wondering what they predicted the Cubs to do, 85-77 winning the division by 1 game over the Brewers, that is pretty amazing, nailing both Chicago teams records exactly.

2 comments:

Polly said...

Could this be the Cubbies year?? Since the Red Sox finally broke their curse in 2004, I think it's the Cubs turn.

Puleeze, anybody but the phowl Phillies or the yucky Yankees.

I'm still in shock over the Met's major collapse, but an overused bullpen, and some really dumbass decisions caught up with them.

glennpan said...

Hey Polly,

Looks like we don't have to worry about the Phils or Yanks. But apparently it is not the year for the Cubs either. Boston v. Cleveland should be great baseball (and determine the likely WS winner).